Sunday, March 22, 2009

This week in food

Well, actually the past two weeks. I'm going through a brief spell where I don't really want to think about food. Or rather, where nothing in particular sounds appealing. Despite that, I did manage to cook and eat some tasty things.

Chinese scallion pancakes
These were easy, fun to make, and I'm already making a second batch. I made six and stuck the dough in the fridge to cook them as needed throughout the week. I also whipped up an easy sauce of low-sodium soy sauce, Sri Ratcha chili garlic sauce, and tahini.

Rosemary potato bread
Historically, this has been my favorite type of bread. I must say that I was slightly disappointed by the outcome--perhaps I need to buy better flour? However, three friends who tasted it thought it was very good. Perhaps I just had very high expectations. This recipe appears in The Bread Baker's Apprentice, which is a really excellent book. A few years ago I made the most amazing cinnamon rolls using his recipe. They tasted just like Ann Sather's in Chicago.

Roasted cauliflower in lemon-tahini sauce
Don't let the less-than-appetizing photo fool you, this is an amazing recipe. It won the reader's recipe contest from Vegetarian Times a couple years ago. I make it often because it is easy and delicious. Sometimes I add carrots and/or whole chickpeas to the roasting pan.

Trader Joe's Canelés de Bordeaux!
I saw these magical looking creatures on some foodie blog [perhaps this one?] a few months ago, but figured that I'd never get to try them since I didn't want to invest in a special pan. Then last week as I perused the frozen food selection at Trader Joe's I found these! They are really really tasty. I did not bother looking at the nutritional facts, as I don't want to know. They go quite well with black tea.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Yum! I do like the look of the bread.

isolada. by design said...

There must be a rosemary potato bread and roasted cauliflower in lemon-tahini sauce in my near future. Dare I say I've that wonderful book in my possession, but have yet to try a recipe? This mental block against yeast, kneading and rising must go!

LittleCanoe said...

I love love LOVE Caneles! They're my new favorite things. I've been thinking about trying to make them as well. I'm still in search of the pan. Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

Weird.....I run into you, and also make Chinese scallion pancakes for myself THE SAME DAY. Clearly we are on the same wavelength! xo, Erin

Rachael Hutchings said...

I'm glad you liked them!