Sunday, April 5, 2009

Box bag


I completed my first box bag today. You can make your own by using the tutorial at Dragon[knit]fly, and the helpful suggestions at Twenty acres. It went pretty smoothly, though I managed to break two needles on the zipper (and nearly lost an eye in the process). I also got so caught up that I forgot to follow the directions and accidentally left out the handle. I made mine from a larger rectangle--16" x 20" with squares 2.5" on each side cut from the corners. I wanted to be able to fit my straight knitting needles inside. It's pretty large (11" x 5" x 5"), which would be great for a sweater-in-progress. I might need to make a smaller one for smaller projects too...

The fabric I used is vintage canvas that I found at an estate sale around Washington, DC a couple summers ago.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

I just made a couple of these last weekend! I didn't know about Twenty Acres' suggestions -- thanks for the link! Yours looks fantastic -- did you use a heavy-ish interfacing?

Kim said...

Very Cute! I love the fabric.

Teresa said...

That's adorable. And I'm glad you still have both your eyes!

Chelsea said...

I have made a few of these now and I have forgotten the handle on all but one of them! Yours is very nice, I like that fabric.

Linda said...

Lovely bag! My last attempt was rubbish but I might try again.